|By Tom Sloper
September 23, 2012
American Mah Jongg (2012 NMJL card). Defense.
1. Evens #2 - hot tiles are 6D 2B 4B. 2B 4B are key (if either of them cannot be paired, her hand is dead).
2. Consec. #2 - hot tiles are 7B 7C 8C. Sevens are key.
3. Consec. #1 - hot tiles are 5C 6C 7C. 5C 6C are key.
4. Elevens - hot tiles are F 1C. 1C is key.
5. Could be Like Numbers, Elevens, or Consec. #4. Hot tiles are eights, threes, ones, 7C, 9C, R. Key tiles are ones, eights, R. Hope for enough clues!
6. Quints #4 - 6B is hot.
7. Consec. #3 or #4 - hot tiles are 6B 7B 6C 7C F soap. Soap is key; if soap can't be paired, she's doing #3.
8. Quints #3 - all dragons are hot.
9. Quints #2 - hot tiles are 5C through 9C. Seek clues.
10. Consec. #5 - hot tiles are 7B F. F is key.
11. Quints #3 - all dragons are hot.
12. Like Numbers - hot tiles are 8C F. 8C is key.
13. Evens #6 - hot tiles are 2C F. F is key.
14. Quints #2 - hot tiles are 6C through 9C.
15. Quints #4 - 7C is hot.
16. Quints #3 - F is hot.
17. 369 #1 - hot tiles are F 3C 6C. F and 6C are key.
18. Could be Like Numbers or Consec. #4 or Odds #5 - hot tiles are nines, eights, soap, 1D. Soap and nines are key.
A tip o' the hat to sharp-eyed reader Karen ██████!
Click the entries in the header frame, above, to read other columns.
Question or comment about this column? I often, um... intentionally... "miss" something; maybe you'll be the first one to spot it! Email and we'll discuss it on the Mah-Jongg Q&A Bulletin Board.
Where to order the yearly NMJL card: Read FAQ 7i.
Need rules for American mah-jongg? Tom Sloper's book, The Red Dragon & The West Wind, is the most comprehensive book in existence about the American game. AND see FAQ 19 for fine points of the American rules (and commonly misunderstood rules). AND get the official rulebook from the NMJL (see FAQ 3). Linda Fisher's website is the only website that describes American rules: http://sites.google.com/site/mahjrules/.
© 2012 Tom Sloper. All rights reserved.