|By Tom Sloper
March Forth, 2012
American Mah Jongg (2011 NMJL card). Defense. An opponent is showing two exposures. What would you do?
1. Call her dead (no such hand). I don't really need to explain again why it's a good idea to call an opponent dead, do I?
2. She is working on 369 #2. The hot tiles are sixes and nines in the other two suits. Look for clues as to which suit she's got.
3. This one is 13579 #3. Look for clues as to what her pairs are (so you know which ones and fives are hot). Soaps are hot for sure.
4. She's working in 369, but her hand is dead. It's supposed to be a concealed hand.
5. See comment #4 above.
6. This one is Like Numbers. Look for clues as to which other threes (or which dragons) are already dead, so you know how to defend.
7. This could be Like Numbers or 13579 #2.
8. She's doing Consec. #3. 2C and 5D are hot.
9. She's dangerous - Quints #1. 2B and 5B are hot!
10. This might be Consec. #3, 13579 #2, or 13579 #6. Need more clues.
11. This is obvious; W-D #3. N and 3C are hot.
12. She's making 13579 #1. Look to see if 1B or 9B is dead; if so, give her the bad news.
13. This is 13579 #3 or Consec. #2. Lots of possible hot tiles.
14. Could be Consec. #3 or 13579 #2. 2B, 3B, 4C, and 5C are hot.
Next week I'll be in Vegas for Mah Jongg Madness.
Click the entries in the header frame, above, to read other columns.
Question or comment about this column? I often, um... intentionally... "miss" something; maybe you'll be the first one to spot it! Email and the discussion will be posted on the Mah-Jongg Q&A Bulletin Board.
Where to order the yearly NMJL card: Read FAQ 7i.
Need rules for American mah-jongg? Tom Sloper's book, The Red Dragon & The West Wind, is the most comprehensive book in existence about the American game. AND see FAQ 19 for fine points of the American rules (and commonly misunderstood rules). AND get the official rulebook from the NMJL (see FAQ 3). Linda Fisher's website is the only website that describes American rules: http://sites.google.com/site/mahjrules/.
© 2012 Tom Sloper. All rights reserved.