|By Tom Sloper
August 5, 2012
American Mah Jongg (2012 NMJL card). An opponent is showing two exposures; what's your defense?
1. Consec. #1. The hot tiles are 1D 2D 3D. Check 1D and 2D for life signs (if either one is dead, she's dead).
2. Like Numbers. 4D and F are hot. 4D is key (see what I said about 1D, 2D in problem 1 above).
3. Consec. #5. 3B, 6B, and F are hot. F is key.
4. Consec. #3 or #4. Hot: twos and threes in craks and bams, soap, and F. Soap is a key indicator.
5. 2468 #1; 8B is key (check it for life signs).
6. Sevens #2, of course; 1D is key, and F is hot, too.
7. Sevens #2, of course; 1D is key, and F is hot, too.
8. Consec. #5. 5B is hot, and so is F. F is key.
9. Quints #4. 3B is hot.
10. Quints #2. The hot tiles are 2B 3B 4B 5B and 6B. If 2B, 3B, 5B, or 6B is dead, you can narrow your thinking. If 3B and 5B are both dead, so's her hand. If the key tile 4B is dead, so's her hand.
11. Quints #4. 5B is hot.
12. Quints #3. F is hot.
13. Quints #3. All dragons are hot.
14. Consec. #3. The hot tiles are sevens and eights in the other two suits.
15. Consec. #2. The hot tiles are 4D 4C 6B.
16. Odds #1 or #2. 1C and 3C are key indicators.
17. Odds #1. If either 1C or 3C is dead, so's her hand.
A tip o' the hat to sharp-eyed reader Mary E.!
Click the entries in the header frame, above, to read other columns.
Question or comment about this column? I often, um... intentionally... "miss" something; maybe you'll be the first one to spot it! Email and the discussion will be posted on the Mah-Jongg Q&A Bulletin Board.
Where to order the yearly NMJL card: Read FAQ 7i.
Need rules for American mah-jongg? Tom Sloper's book, The Red Dragon & The West Wind, is the most comprehensive book in existence about the American game. AND see FAQ 19 for fine points of the American rules (and commonly misunderstood rules). AND get the official rulebook from the NMJL (see FAQ 3). Linda Fisher's website is the only website that describes American rules: http://sites.google.com/site/mahjrules/.
© 2012 Tom Sloper. All rights reserved.